Pages

Sunday, 18 September 2016

Starting a modelling portfolio - with me!

So you want to get into modelling but you don't know where to start?

First things first you will need some photos.





Now the most important thing here is to find a photographer that you connect with, communication is incredibly important when it comes to getting the best out of a model through images. 



When shooting with me, I provide a lot of direction - the shoot is relaxed and I always have music on! Music keeps motivation going, it provides us with feeling, emotion and something to draw on for poses and movement!

Over the years I have worked with a number of new models, some who have a little experience, and some who have none at all and this is their first shoot!

I aim to get the best from everyone I shoot with, and thanks to my extensive background in fashion photography I know how to direct a model with clear communication and bring to the table my own style of imagery.

Here you can see two examples of the 'starter portfolio shoots' I run, both of these girls had little to no previous experience in front of the camera!




Don't be afraid to give it a try if you're interested and feel like it's an avenue of creativity you'd like to go down!


In each shoot I photograph around 4-5 outfits along with 2-3 makeup looks, these will be tailored to the model in question as to whether they want to be more commercial, editorial, high fashion, alternative etc.

However with every shoot I always begin with a stripped back and simple styling - minimal makeup, naturally styled hair and jeans and a vest. 






If you're wanting to apply to agencies, they will want to see how you look without all the extravagant makeup and clothing. They want to see your skin tone, your hair colour, posture and face shape to start with - then you can go about impressing them with your posing skills and expressions!


 Example Shoot One - Sofia:








 Example Shoot Two - Saffron:











I can also run starter portfolio shoots with an added location, they don't always have to be studio based!





 



So if you are interested in getting in to modelling and you aren't sure where to start, drop me a line and we can have a no-obligation chat! I'm happy to shoot with models of all ages, any models under 18 will require parental consent and have a parent or guardian present at the shoot.

I run these sessions all over the UK, and have a studio kit that I can bring to you - or if you'd prefer I'm based over in Surrey and we can shoot here!

I can also run group or duo sessions - so if you know someone else who is also wanting to get into modelling you could club together and book a shoot on the same day!

Every session receives a minimum of 15 fully edited images from their shoot. 


Email: info@elspethvanderhole.com
Website: www.elspethvanderhole.com